Add Your Heading Text Here
ETMP has been involved in the development, delivery and evaluation of the WEX Program since 2015. During this time ETMP has worked in partnership with the Australian Government to design a program for Indigenous students to develop a greater understanding and appreciation for the role of the Australian Parliament and its connection and working relationship with the Australian Government.
What is important for Indigenous Australia is to not only have a better understanding of the Australian Parliament and Government, but also have a stronger presence of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people working in the Australian Government to influence positive change.
The WEX Program has been designed with this purpose in mind. WEX aims to increase the number of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people working in the Australian Government.
WEX does this in two ways. Firstly, by bringing selected year 10, 11 and 12 Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students to Canberra and provide them with a practical hands-on experience and exposure to people and information about job opportunities and career pathways in the Australian Government. And secondly, through WEX Virtual, the online platform for students to connect with other WEX students, connect with WEX Indigenous Mentors, undertake career development courses, learn about career pathways and life skills, and the opportunity to share and express their thoughts, ideas and feelings as a young person being involved in WEX.
By being involved in WEX, participants will:
- Connect with other like-minded young people who aspire to have a career in Government
- Learn and develop personal and workplace development skills
- Be familiar with a range of opportunities for entry into the Australian Government (non‑graduate and graduate)
- Be familiar with a range of roles for Australian Government employees (service delivery, policy, defence, enforcement)
- Be familiar with how to apply for government jobs
- Be familiar with the challenges that Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people may face while working in the Australian Government
- Be familiar with the support available to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander employees.
- Understand how government agencies deliver government services